Friday 27 April 2007

Referee

Last term Dave and Charlie played a couple of football matches with some of Dave's senior 1 and 2 classes. Apparently all went well and Dave's lack of skill wasn't much of an issue. This term however Dave was asked if he could referee a big game rather than play in it. The match was the Senior 1 team against the Senior 2 team, the oldest kids in the school and there was a crowd 100 deep. Dave was quite happy to accept and then kindly asked me if I would take over for the 2nd half. I have never refereed anything before but thought that it couldn't be too difficult, especially as I was given a whistle and cards. Half time and the senior 1 team are 1-0 up and Dave has had very little to do. By the end of the 2nd half it was 3-2 to the senior 2 team, flying tackles had caused injuries, my new linesman had very thick glasses and I had given a very controversial penalty for hand ball. I am probably only still alive now as it was missed. Next time I think I'll pass.


No comments: